FROM AROUND GOA
Forts in Goa
Major tourist attraction and protected heritage sites in Goa. Some of the many forts in Goa.
Alorna Fort also known as Halarn fort is one of the oldest forts in Goa. It is situated 30 kilometers from the town of Mapusa. It was constructed by the Bhonsles of Sawantwadi in the 17th century, to defend against the Maratha attacks. From there, one can get a good view of the surrounding river and land.
The fort is currently in ruins and filled with wild vegetation.
Corjuem Fort is a fortress situated 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) from the village of Aldona on the island of Corjuem, Goa. It was a military fortress for the defense of Portuguese India. It is smaller than the other forts in Goa, but it gives a good view of the surrounding river and land.
Corjuem Fort is 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) from Panjim.
Reis Magos Fort
Reis Magos fort, surrounded by sturdy laterite walls studded with typically Portuguese turrets, was erected in 1551 to protect the narrowest point at the mouth of the Mandovi estuary. The fort formerly accommodated viceroys and other dignitaries newly arrived from, or en route to, Lisbon, and in the early eighteenth century proved a linchpin in the wars against the Hindu Marathas, who were never able to take it. The bastion was used as a prison and is not open to the public.
Often mis-spelt as Tirakol or Tirakhol, situated on the Terekhol River, this fort lies on the northern tip of Goa. Maharaja Khem Sawant Bhonsle, the Raja of Sawantwadi, built this fort in the 17th century. It was then rebuilt in 1764 after the Portuguese Viceroy Dom Pedro Miguel de Almeida captured it. However, Terekhol was legally incorporated into Goa only in 1788.
42 kms from Panaji, Terekhol fort stands at the northern most tip of Goa’s shoreline, on a hillock overlooking the Arabian Sea, at the mouth of river Terekhol.
The Cabo De Rama Fort
Inside the Cabo de Rama Fort, there is the church of Santo Antonio which is in excellent condition and is still used by devotees. The white church and the black fort provide a photographic picture of stark contrast. People come here to pray and just enjoy the mystical atmosphere of the fort. Cliffs drop steeply to the sea provide a panoramic outlook of the surrounding areas, at the western side of the fortress. The fort provides majestic views of the entire length of Colva beach and the Canacona stretch.
The Chapora Fort
Chapora Fort, located in Bardez, Goa, rises high above the Chapora River. Before the Portuguese arrived in Goa in 1510, this location was the site of another fort. The fort changed hands several times after Portuguese acquired Bardez. Trying to end the Portuguese rule in Goa, Prince Akbar joined his father’s enemies, the Marathas in 1683 and made this place his base camp. It became the northern outpost of the Old Conquests. After the Portuguese recovered from an encounter with the Marathas, they strengthened their northern defences and provided shelter to the people there.