Tuesday, 24/4/2018 | : : UTC+0
TimelineGOA
.

Solar dos Colacos mansion

Solar dos Colacos mansion

Solar dos colacos mansion, Ribandar

Stepping into this 300-year-old Portuguese mansion is like retreating into a grand bygone era. As its name ‘Solar’ suggests, it was truly the abode of noblemen. In fact one of its ancestors, Nazario Colaco II was bestowed with the title of ‘Fidalgo Cavalheiro’ on January 4, 1890. This name has been engraved at the entrance of the house.

Built in Baroque style with an imposing façade, this mansion located at Ribandar on the left bank of the River Mandovi overlooking the islands of Chorao and Divar, as well as the historical churches of Old Goa, was first constructed by Joao Colaco in 1730 and completed by his son Nazario Colaco in 1745. Apparently this was the first wing on the western side. The east wing was built much later in 1825 by Jose Bernardo Colaco. With its beautiful antique, handcrafted furniture offset by Baroque tiled flooring and arches, this mansion was built with utmost dedication and finesse.

The western wing reserved for private use contains the dining hall and a family oratorio (chapel). An interesting story is told about the statue of Madonna and the Child housed in the chapel. Jose Bernardo Colaco, whose boat which capsized off the coast of Aguada clung to the statue which eventually saved his life. In gratitude he
brought it home and started the custom of reciting prayers (the rosary and a ladaínha) in the house from August 1 to 15 every year. Apparently, this tradition is still in practice. Another interesting aspect of the dining hall is a sideboard on which Nazario Colaco II (grandson of Jose Bernardo Colaco), a skilled wood carver, created scenes from the Ramayana (a rarity in Christian homes,especially back then). His wood handiwork is apparent throughout the
house.

In keeping with tradition, the dining hall constitutes the main living area in this spacious mansion, with xquisite
furniture lining the wall. The lengthy dining table can seat 30 people. The ballroom and the minstrel (coreto) gallery constitute a part of the eastern gallery.

Accessible by road or boat, a private jetty completes the heritage touch on this grande old mansion!

‘Built in Baroque style with an imposing façade, this mansion located at Ribandar on the left bank of the River Mandovi overlooking the islands of Chorao and Divar, as well as the historical churches of Old Goa, was first constructed by Joao Colaco in 1730.’

Open to visitors on request

Subscribe Magazine

Email: circulation@timelinegoa.in

Phone: (+91) 8888848098

EDITORIAL Contact

Email: editorial@timelinegoa.in

Phone: (+91) 9822800034

WRITE TO US

Email :- feedback@timelinegoa.in